The Chamber of Engineers held its 20th Annual Conference with the theme of Energy: The Alternatives on 19th May 2011 at the Hotel Corinthia San Gorg, St. Julians. This year's conference focused on alternatives to the well known technologies, going beyond the renewable energies that have been tackled time and time again.
The conference delved into the non-conventional renewable energy technologies that can be taken advantage of, the market opportunities for such technologies, and how the local renewable energy scene is evolving.
Professor Manfred Weissenbacher from the University of Malta’s Institute for Sustainable Energy delivered the keynote speech entitled “Energy Security or Climate Concerns: What drives the current boom in renewable energy?” Professor Weissenbacher aimed to show that both energy supply risks and pronounced climate change must be avoided and how this creates opportunities for alternative energy technologies.
The conference was also addressed by Hon. George Pullicino, Minister for Resources & Rural Affairs, and Inġ. Saviour Baldacchino, President, Chamber of Engineers, as well as other experts from the University of Malta, Enemalta Corporation and entrepreneurs from the energy sector. These speakers addressed the latest developments in photovoltaic technology, heat pumps, wind turbines, wave energy, sand energy, and energy security.
This conference was of interest to engineers working in the energy industry, researchers, SMEs and engineering firms, economists and students.
The presentations given during the conference can be found in the links below.
- Sand to Energy, Prof. Luciano Mule Stagno, Institute for Sustainable Energy, University of Malta
- Wave Energy, Dr. Cedric Caruana Mifsud, Faculty of Engineering, University of Malta
- Quantifying the Wind Resource, Ing. Robert N. Farrugia, Institute for Sustainable Energy, University of Malta
- Boosting Air Conditioning Efficiency..'Renewable' Ground Source Heat Pumps, Ing. Godfrey Muscat, Senior Consultant, Mediterranean Technical Services
- An Overview of the PV Market Developments in Malta, Mr. Karl Azzopardi, Marketing Director, Solar Solutions
- Urban Self Adjusting Geometry Vertical Axis Wind Turbines, Dr. Ing. Alessandro Urso, CEO, Alurwind Ltd.
- New Diesel Engine Combined Cycle Plant at Delimara Power Station, Ing. Albert Farrugia, Projects Manager, Enemalta Corporation